Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

11.22.63 by Stephen King


If you are over the age of 50 and live in the United States you probably recall exactly where you were and what was happening on this date just as we remember those horrific scenes of September 11, 2001. I remember being sent home from school and the adults talking in stunned tones about the president being shot.  We did not have TV (religious reasons and a whole different story) so my dad and I listened to the news on the car radio.  I wrote Mrs. Kennedy a letter of sympathy and in return received a copy of the Easter picture they had taken prior to the assassination. I still have it. So, when I saw an interview with Stephen King about this book I was intrigued even though I do not normally read his books. In fact, while I have seen many movies and a few miniseries made from his books this remains the only one I have read. I am glad I did.

I began thinking the premise was a good one. What if we could go back in time and change bad events. What would we change? How far back would we go?  Kill Hitler, save Jesus, stop the 1929 Crash? The list could go on forever.  So I suppose parameters must be set. No one could go back farther than they had lived. Every time one traveled back things changed. And of course, change is a reactor.  All these things came into play within this book.  Jake has to determine why he is going back, what truly needs to be changed and how that change will impact the world in a much larger sense than just stopping  the death of the president. 

I thought the book would be just about how he would keep the president from being shot or maybe how he would determine whether or not Lee Harvey Oswald did indeed fire the shots that killed John Kennedy. Instead I found a well written story about a man finding what was important to him.  If he kept the janitor’s family from being killed by killing the father did that truly safe the janitor?  If one person was kept from going hunting and was not involved in an accident did that mean the person lived a good life?  Could he find happiness in 1963 or could he convince the love of his life then to come forward with him to the present?  What if the president lived?  Jake had to learn how to live in the past in order to affect the future. Like the prime directive of Star trek about leaving no interference in the development of alien civilizations, Jake wrestled with what to do and not to do.  If he stopped students from drinking at a school event did that stop them from dying in an alcohol related accident?  Does he use the information he has about the future and its events to help himself or to help others? 

All the many characters enhance the book. The green card man, the owner of the diner, the principal, even the bookies all help make this seem more real than fictional. One is the connection between good and evil, one the means to achieve an end, one the connection to what Jake finds important and the bookies, a reminder that even in another dimension, bad is bad and you are better off leaving it alone.  My favorite character though is time itself. It doesn’t like being changed. It fought Jake the entire way to Dealey Plaza. It created chaos where he was seeking peace.  It gave him room to breathe and then began to choke hope out of him. 

While I may not read another of King’s books I thoroughly enjoyed this one! Maybe it is the history geek in me or just one who would like to see what could be done if only time turned a different way.


No comments:

Post a Comment