Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry

My review!
I did not read anything about this book before starting it so I had no preconception about its content. I did not even really pick up on the fact that the main character Ginny, had Aspergers until Jennifer and I spoke outside one morning.  She had posted a comment about the book and a related article in the Post.  At that point I was only three chapters into the book and realized Ginny has issues but had not determined what those were.  I will admit that I learned about the syndrome along with Ginny.  I have a former colleague/friend whose daughter was diagnosed with Aspergers at age seven. He talked about how she was shy, didn’t like to have change, etc. but he and his wife were taken aback by the diagnosis. I imagine Amanda was feeling the same thing when she thought her daughter might also have the disorder. 

Coping mechanisms are something we all rely on to get through life. Imagine not being able to determine why you felt this way. Why did you memorize the dictionary but were unable to hold regular, flowing conversations with people? Why did you like to touch things but not be touched? (I will admit that I first thought she might be an abused child or even a mentally challenged one until I got a bit farther into the book.) I found it interesting that she loved cooking and think I know why—regiment, preciseness and a feeling of control over something must have been a welcome reward. 

I was surprised that I found the ghost thing working, even believable for this story.  The recipes made sense to her and she needed to make sense of the world she was now facing.  What better way than to cook up the deceased to help her make sense of the present and look toward the future.  With each new recipe she found answers to questions, or questions to answer.  Once that task was accomplished the recipe no longer brought forth the ancestor.  I thought it was unique that each ghost dissipated as the aroma of the recipe waned.  Don’t our memories of loved ones disappear as time goes on?  Their place in our hearts is constant but we begin to forget their looks, their voices, their scent just as we forget a recipe after the prep work is done, the food eaten and the clean up completed. The aroma may stay in the house for a while like a fresh baked pie or even bacon but until the next encounter we may not be able to adequately describe the feeling we get from eating that item.

I am not surprised that her father also had the syndrome. It seems to run in families much like other neurological disorders including MS. While the doctors are quick to point out these are not hereditary they do say they are genetic. I fail to note a significant difference between the two.  I wonder if Ginny failed to notice the same traits in her father that she exhibited since she could not look him in the eye any more than he could her. 

Mostly, I enjoyed the use of the word normal.  Normal is as normal does according to another famous character (paraphrased, of course).  When asked what she had I loved the response of personality!  She did indeed. I was thrilled she and her sister came to an understanding and that a year later she was indeed maintaining normal!  She was creating recipes, not relying on them to bring back ghosts.  She was also reaching out—sometimes symbolically as to Gert and other times in reality as for her family.  I may even recommend this book to my friends whose daughter has this diagnosis.  A very positive book and a great reminder that normal takes on many roles, one just has to find which one fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment