Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Straight Man by Richard Russo




I am not sure I understand the title as I do not think it applies to the main character.  William Henry Devereaux, Jr. seemed anything but straight. He liked to think of his wife having affairs, had sexual thoughts about his secretary and a grad student. Maybe the fact that he thought without acting made him the straight man.  He also was not the best liked person on the campus.  His department seemed to relish filing grievances against him. This being said, I went on line to see why the book was so well received.

A straight man is the person who gives insight into a comedy. Having read that I can see the title has relevance.  The life WHD, Jr lived was a comedy, or so he thought. He might simply have been trying to rationalize his complacency in living on the reputation built by his first, and only, novel.  One might psychoanalyze him as being another man trying to live up to and make amends for the mistakes his father had.  While he had thoughts about other women and never acted upon them, his father seemed to go after many women, switching one for the next until he finally returned home to his first wife and the mother of his child when he was ill.

One thing I did like about the book was when he learned that his father was not the great teacher he though. Dad got stage fright.  WHD, Jr was surprised by this.

The relationships with his own daughters seemed to reflect the relationship he had with his own parents. Everyone in the book is flawed.  Some drink too much, some spend too much. Others are hanging on in jobs they should give up. 

As strange as I found the book, I did recognize a lot of educational politics in the book.  That made it a bit more real for me.

As this is presented as a comedy I will admit that I found the parts with the duck/goose hilarious!

No comments:

Post a Comment