Pages

Monday, July 25, 2016

Devil in the White City by Erik Larson


This is actually two stories in one.  Bruce read the book years ago so I was familiar with it but had not read it.  We have over the last 25 years spent a lot of time in Chicago because our friend Michael lived there.  The last time we were there was summer of 2012 shortly before his illness and subsequent death. We went to the Chicago Historical Society and enjoyed the exhibit about the World’s Fair.  I was particularly interested in the Ferris Wheel replica they had on display. I thought of that as I read just what was entailed in the creation of the ride.  Wow!  I think I would be more afraid of getting on the original than I am the improved models! I fear being stuck on the top with a cousin who likes to rock the boat. (Read that as the voice of experience!)

About all that remains of the original buildings is the Palace of Arts which is now the Museum of Science and Industry where you can see a captured German U-boat.  The back of the building is what was the front and is on Jackson Lagoon.  There is also an amusement park at the Navy Pier where the original Ferris Wheel once stood.  You can really get a good view of it all from atop the Willis (originally known as the Sears) tower.  I found the description of all that went into getting the fair off the ground and running even more entertaining that the murder mystery surrounding the disappearance of all the women!  HH Holmes was hardly a commonly known criminal until Larson’s book. 

Personally, I think Holmes was as successful as he was because people could not conceive of anyone like that in existence then. Today, we suspect the worst of everyone and are surprised by little.  Then he was a nice looking young man who seemed to exude charm. Reminds me of an earlier Ted Bundy!

I was never lucky enough to attend any of the world’s fairs. I think I would have loved them. I always enjoy the Folk Life Festivals on the mall which I consider a smaller scale world exposition. Reading about all that went into creating one from the beginning to end makes me realize that little has changed in America. If someone has an idea and it committed to seeing it achieved, it can be done. Along the way, that same idea will be scrutinized to death, altered to fit the egos of anyone who believes they thought of it to begin with and if lucky come to fruition somewhere near on schedule! 

I enjoyed the book. Thanks for suggesting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment