Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Copperhead Road by Roger Canaff

First let me start by saying that I know the author.  Therefore I probably have a bias toward this book that others might not.  That out front, I did enjoy the book.  Enjoying the book is not something I intended to do.  Sound conflicted?  It should.  The book is well written and holds ones interest.  You want the main character to be alright.  The subject matter is what I did not like.  I know that this occurs and that continues to bother me.  No child should ever have to live through the abuse, the fear and the thoughts of unworthiness that the main character does in this book.  That is what I did not like.

 John is a bright person who lost much of his early childhood into middle school to a predator who raped him and other young boys all in the name of being a trusted member of society.  How often does this happen?  I imagine that many young people, male and female are victimized like this on a daily basis.  Why do they not just step forward and demand the abuser be punished?  Reading the book gave me some insight into that.  A child is taught to respect their elders.  When an adult tells you you are a special friend, it makes you feel important.  When that adult also threatens you if you tell, then you are scared.  John did tell and others did not believe him.  Where else did he have to go?

Cotler is the one I cannot really figure out.  He has this sixth sense about tracking things and yet failed to see what his best friend was going through.  He should have known and told his father.  Was this a flaw in his own character?  Did he really know and did not know how to tell his father?

Vinnie is the person I feel sorriest for. He will always be the victim.  He tried to be different but I doubt he could ever make the change, hence his actions.  John is a survivor.  He matures and stands on his own two feet. 

 Without doing a total recap of the story, this book is about surviving.  Some of the young men do and others do not. It is also about revenge.  Lon is one who sets about exacting revenge in the wrong way while enlisting John and Vinnie to help him.  Coach Bonner gives John great advice about keeping his circle of confidants small.  Steve proves a good, sympathetic friend. 

This book is also a wake-up call to adults.  Maybe things were different in 1985.  Adults missed the occasion to help these boys on many occasions.  From the doctor to the lawyer, folks turned a blind ey to how a child could receive such injuries.  Were they that ignorant or were they burying their heads in the sand?

Jim Kelly is a whole different story.  I think there is a special place in hell for folks like him and I pray that he is there!

No comments:

Post a Comment