Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Rose Garden by Susanna Kearsley

Time travel--something Star Trek gave us a long time ago but never in the way Susanna Kearsley does! In The Winter Sea she took us to the coast of Scotland and brought us back and forth between centuries in the name of love. In this book she takes us to Cornwall and stirs is up a bit. Instead of finding connections between the past and the present, she uses the present to connect with the past. Or, does she? While I thought I had a handle on the time shift elements in the book, I was surprised to realize that the present was actually the past and the future is--well I'm not certain!

As I read the discussion questions at the end I thought about the type of conversations we might have when we meet. Eve went to Cornwall to disperse her sister's ashes because that is where she thought she was happiest. Where have we been our happiest? Did Eva choose wisely? Did she return to Cornwall because fate drew her there or because her happiness was tied to the house?

Having read The Winter Sea, I was not surprised by the connection between past and present. I liked the way she faded her heroine in and out between centuries. I found the acceptance of time travel by Fergal and Daniel interesting since learning anything from a woman was not something readily accepted in their time. The chivalry, protection and affection for Eva were charming. It did not surprise me to find her falling in love with Daniel--that was expected. Constable Creed is a good villain who gets his just desserts in the end. This brings us to another of the discussion questions: would you change history if given the opportunity? Did Eva change things when she went back in time and married Daniel? I will save my thoughts on this for our discussions!

The one thing I find interesting about Ms Kearsley's book is the way all of the characters are intertwined. Oliver, Susan, Mark, Felicity, Paul, George and Claire all have a very important role to play in the multiple century connectedness of the book--none in the way I thought until I reached the last chapters of the book. Guide or fellow traveler makes little difference. Each is interesting with a vital role in the novel.

 I wish she had gone one chapter more and told me what happened between Eva and Daniel.  Did they live a long and happy life together? If so, why the Grey Lady? Did they move to Spain? I find this doubtful since the story is so tied to Trelowarth.  Why was there no gravestone for either?  
I look forward to our discussions and do hope someone will comment on here someday! 

1 comment:

  1. From Janice
    I wanted to say that I just began The Rose Garden, and I know that this author will not disappoint me.

    ReplyDelete