Pages

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake

This was a difficult book for me to wrap my head around at first as Brooks alternates between England and New England during the early years of WWII.  Once I was able to figure out the connection between the two female main characters I enjoyed the rest of the book.  I think I envied Frankie Bard for her eyewitness to history as a reporter for Edward R Murrow.  I wondered at her ability to survive the Blitz, to travel through Europe searching for and collecting stories of the displaced and to eventually make her way to Massachusetts to deliver a letter written to a woman whose husband left for England to help out prior to the US entry into the war. He left because he and his wife had listened to one of Frankie's stories and wanted to help. 

In the US Iris James is the postmistress of Franklin Massachusetts, a fictional town full of interesting characters waiting for the US to enter WWII. She is a by the book type of woman who takes her job very seriously but when it comes time to deliver the one letter that would change Emma Fitch's life forever she chose to hold onto it instead.  This act delayed the agony Emma would have endured until her child could be born.

No comments:

Post a Comment